Tuesday 25 August 2015

Review: I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

Title: I'll Give You the Sun

Author: Jandy Nelson

Publisher: Dial Books

Release Date: Already Released

Goodreads Summary:

A brilliant, luminous story of first love, family, loss, and betrayal for fans of John Green, David Levithan, and Rainbow Rowell

Jude and her twin brother, Noah, are incredibly close. At thirteen, isolated Noah draws constantly and is falling in love with the charismatic boy next door, while daredevil Jude cliff-dives and wears red-red lipstick and does the talking for both of them. But three years later, Jude and Noah are barely speaking. Something has happened to wreck the twins in different and dramatic ways . . . until Jude meets a cocky, broken, beautiful boy, as well as someone else—an even more unpredictable new force in her life. The early years are Noah's story to tell. The later years are Jude's. What the twins don't realize is that they each have only half the story, and if they could just find their way back to one another, they’d have a chance to remake their world.

This radiant novel from the acclaimed, award-winning author of The Sky Is Everywhere will leave you breathless and teary and laughing—often all at once.


My Review:

I went into this story not really knowing much about it except that it was a story about two twins that have had a falling out and the story is told from both their perspectives one when they are younger the other when they are older.

This book follows two twins Noah and Jude and their life growing up. The book is told from both their point of views where Noah's point of view is told from when they are 13 years old and Jude's is told when they older at 16 years age and we see how these two stories come together.

I started out this book after the first chapter thinking I was going to DNF the book. The first chapter had all these crazy metaphors and I could not really get into the story. I however decided to continue with it because of all the great reviews I read and I am so glad I did.

By about page 116 I was totally in love with the story and the writing style. I was so invested in the story by this point that I could not put it down and just needed to know what was going to happen next. So if you start out thinking this story is weird and not wanting to continue with it I say at least give it a chance to around here as I thought it really picked up from this point.

I really enjoyed the dynamic and relationship between the two siblings and how their relationship changed throughout the book. I also really enjoyed the coming of age story of these two siblings and the struggles they went through as I think they were handled in a realistic way.

The only thing I did not like is there was instalove situations for both the characters.  I don't understand why young adult books do this. The characters see someone for the first time and all of the sudden they are in love with them. That just seems a little unrealistic. I did however enjoy the two relationships in this book.

Summing up I would recommend this book to anyone that's looking for a great coming of age story that will pull at your emotions. A beautifully written story that will leave you wanting more.


Star rating: 4.5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment